Tuesday, June 17, 2008

DAY 229--DAWN OF THE NIGHT OF THE DEAD: THE MUSICAL

For the first time in this blog, I'm speechless.

I actually stumbled across this 1980 short film while trying to find something else. I know very little about it, other than director Dan Karlok conceived the idea for this zombie-comedy-musical while working for a cemetery (or cemetary, according to the short's header) and that it played on USA's Night Flight back in the '80s; it also supposedly played in theaters before screenings of DAWN OF THE DEAD. Couldn't find much about Karlok, or anyone else involved in this production (though visual effectsman Al Magliochetti, who worked on such films as FRANKENHOOKER and JASON GOES TO HELL, gets a credit).

Yeah, it's dumb, but it's also surprisingly infectious. A lighthearted homage to a classic film, DAWN OF THE NIGHT OF THE DEAD: THE MUSICAL made me smile as much as it made me say "What the fuck?"

Enjoy, and sorry about the crappy quality.

No comments: